Honourably Bernard

Having a conversation with Bernard is easy. He is warm, engaging and animated. That is, until I make the mistake of asking the taboo question, “What was the name of the ship you worked on?”

The knee-jerk reaction is immediate. Bernard looks stern and he tells me politely that he is unable to reveal that information to me. Bernard was a seafaring soldier in his previous profession, patrolling the Singapore Straits and keeping us well-protected.

On average, more than 900 ships use the Straits of Singapore each day.1 Bernard's ship was deployed along this busy highway to protect Singapore's sovereign rights. In fact, Bernard was placed in charge of the whole naval security of Pedra Branca when Malaysia contested control of the island, which commands the eastern approach of these straits.

To say the least, Bernard is the kind of guy you can rely on. At the peak of his naval career, Bernard was second in command of a warship. With 60 to 70 men directly under him and a fantastic six figure pay, it makes one wonder what was missing in this prestigious career that made him jump ship.

“There was something that was lacking in there. My focus as a person was always being able to help others. I wanted to contribute to their life... I wanted to be doing that on board the ship.”

Ironically, it was not when things got difficult that Bernard wanted to leave but when things were on cruise-control. He was called on board a bigger ship, a frigate, which commanded ships for warfare.

“I was actually drifting further and further away from my core mission of wanting to help people... After a while, I realised that this was not the place where I could excel at personal relationships... I was just bogged down by replying emails daily and running operations.”

“Now, I can blend in my interaction with my client, friends and family very well. And through this interaction, I can understand them better. Through understanding their life, I'm able to help them do better in their finances. I can also help them in their lifestyle, healthcare, relationships with their friends and also help them improve on their own personal growth as well.”

He says JNP is the place which gave him the chance to realise his dreams. Not only that, mentorship with Boss has helped him become a better person. He says his heart has always been for the people around him that suffer for a lack of guidance. But he felt what he could do on his own was limited. In JNP, he now has the proper support in which to do this.

“I felt the change in me and I am filled with joy from day to day. It is not only through the coaching that I'm given practical solutions. It is the love and patience that Boss has shown me that makes me want to reciprocate by serving JNP in whatever way I can... through this process I've grown to be more caring and reach out to more people in better and more constructive ways. I still have to reply
emails and run the operations of my business. (I did not leave the Navy to escape that!) Now I know that even the most mundane things I do will work for the good of the people around me. I have a clear vision of what I am doing because I am in alignment with the purpose and values of JNP.”

0 comments:

About This Blog

“Kaki” is used to describe close friends with whom we share a special relationship. The unique thing is that they meet up regularly, they talk, they have fun, and they often take a genuine interest in each other’s lives. Most importantly, they share a meaningful time together, sharing knowledge and exchanging ideas.

What's New ?


  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP